Johannesburg: General Counsel / Head of Legal – Africa
Our Client is a pre-eminent global investment bank and household name with international operations around the globe. They provide a full range of investment banking and retail services to their clients around the world. Their operations in Africa are significant with offices in fourteen countries across the African continent. They are now seeking to appoint a General Counsel / Head of Legal for the Africa region who will be responsible for an international legal team across Africa. The primary focus of the role is to provide legal services and deliver legal solutions to the Bank and subsidiary and divisional companies.
Based in their Johannesburg office, you will have significant interaction and work closely with the business units, key stakeholders and senior management and be closely involved in:
- reviewing and commenting on a diverse range of on-shore and offshore new business and products to identify and address any legal, compliance, regulatory and reputational risks and to ensure compliance with internal policies;
- participating with the businesses, and internal and external advisers, on new product and service offerings and business activities;
- maintaining and developing the bank's policies on legal and compliance matters across various jurisdictions;
- managing and assisting with regulatory liaison, investigations and inquiries I nvolving the bank;
- Assisting with reporting to senior management and the board.
Broad multi-jurisdictional corporate experience gained at a senior level either in practice at a leading law firm or in house at a leading financial services organization or international corporate is essential. The ideal candidate will have previously worked in a legal capacity in Africa and had first hand experience of working in different jurisdictions and the legal complexities and regulatory requirements in those jurisdictions. You shall be resourceful, proactive, business minded and have excellent communication skills. Additionally, you must be able to work under pressure and due to the demanding nature of the business, must be an enthusiastic team player and be able to demonstrate strong organisation, communication and negotiation skills.
The work of the legal team will be exceptionally varied and provide a first class platform for personal development with the opportunity to be closely involved with the all operating areas of business of this highly successful, dynamic and entrepreneurial investment bank. The environment is collegiate and dynamic and you will have exposure to sophisticated products, transactions and mandates whilst applying your legal skills in a highly commercial context. A first class competitive remuneration package with base salary and bonus components as well as excellent benefits are being offered.